For this morning's bout of wild creating, I used a tag punch to make 25 paper tags. I couldn't find my stamp pad so used black acrylic paint to stamp number words on to each tag. I don't recommend this method. They look messy but I'm pretending that I meant to do it.
On the back of each tag, I'll write a "to-do" item for the Christmas season. Then I'll string them along some twine, clipped on with clothes pegs, to be taken off each day.
Here's what I've come up with, following my personal philosophy: KISS (Keep It Simple, Sister!)
1. Help Mommy set up "Mary's Star Path" and place Mary on the first star.
2.Listen to The Bells of Dublin by the Chieftains.
3.Create a Christmas story book basket.
4. Ask Daddy to tell you about a favourite Christmas memory.
5. Hang a Christmas wreath on the door.
6. Read a favourite Christmas story together.
7. Cuddle up and watch a Christmas movie together.
8. Go to the Santa Claus Parade!
9. Get the Christmas tree, and decorate it!
10. Put the animals in the Nativity stable.
11. Ask Daddy what his favourite Christmas treat is, then bake it!
12. Hang candy canes on the Christmas tree.
13. Lie on the floor under the Christmas tree with hot chocolate and candy canes.
14. Make a big mess with glue, glitter, and paint to make Christmas cards for your grandparents, and aunts/uncles/cousins.
15. Bake and decorate sugar cookies.
16. Do a kind deed for one of your siblings.
17. Ask mommy to tell you about a favourite Christmas memory.
18. Wrap presents for your siblings!
19. Call Nanny and Papa and ask them to tell you about Christmas when they were little.
20. Call Grandma and ask her to tell you about Christmas when she was little.
21. Call Grandpa and Granny and ask them to tell you about Christmas when they were little.
22. Read "Jonathon Toomey's Christmas Miracle" together.
23. Watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" together.
24. Christmas Eve! Listen to the story of Jesus' birth, and hang your stockings!
25. Christmas Day! Add Baby Jesus to the Nativity and celebrate!
A friend told me about seeing this somewhere in the internet ether, but I don't have a link. The elaborate "Advent Sticks" that my friends and I usually do have been set aside this year, as I just don't have the time to craft 25 handmade items! Creating this list lit that spark of excitement I get every year at this time. It's all compounded by our own special, imminent birth. So much preparation and anticipation happening simultaneously!